Easter is just around the corner, which means it's time to start planning your Easter-themed desserts. If you have a sweet tooth and love to bake, then you'll definitely want to add Easter shortbread cookies to your list. These delicious cookies are easy to make and can be rolled and cut into cute Easter shapes using cookie cutters.
Decorated with pastel colors, they are the perfect addition to any Easter basket. In this post, I will share an easy recipe for making these tasty treats and show you how to decorate them for a festive touch. So let's get baking and make some Easter cookies!
This recipe is adapted from my Grandma's Shortbread from my other website.
This is one of the easiest shortbread recipes that you will ever make. It takes only a few minutes to mix the dough and whether you roll them into balls and flatten with a fork, or roll the dough out and cut them into shapes, this recipe can take only 30 minutes from start to finish....including the dishes!
These soft, tender melt-in-your-mouth Easter shortbread cookies are so easy to make! No rolling or chilling the dough. Add your favourite sprinkles and you've got yourself a lovely Easter treat!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy to Make: This Easter shortbread cookies recipe is simple and straightforward, making it perfect for novice bakers or those short on time.
- Festive and Fun: Whether you roll them in a ball and flatten with a fork, or roll and cut into cute Easter shapes and decorate with pastel colors, these cookies are perfect for adding some festive fun to your Easter celebrations.
- Delicious: Made with high-quality ingredients, these cookies are buttery and crumbly, with just the right amount of sweetness. They're sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Versatile: Not only are these Easter shortbread cookies perfect for adding to Easter baskets, but they also make great gifts for friends and family or as a sweet snack for any occasion such as a baby shower or wedding shower. We've even made halloween shortbread!
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you can easily find in the grocery store.
- All purpose flour - use the scoop and level method to measure the all-purpose flour.
- Powdered sugar
- Butter - Sould be at room temperature but not too soft. Do not soften the butter in the microwave! The cookies will spread. Take the butter out of the refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes before you start the recipe. you can use salted or unsalted butter. Traditionally, shortbread is made with unsalted butter.
- Sprinkles - use your favorite colored sprinkles or sanding sugar.
How to make Easter Shortbread - Step by step instructions
This has become one of my go-to holiday cookie recipes that I make and change up the color of the sprinkles and decorating.
Start by preheating the oven to 300°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, cornstarch and powdered sugar. Set aside.
Add in the butter, mixing by hand until a soft dough forms.
Roll into one-inch balls and place on prepared baking trays.
Press down lightly on each cookie with a floured fork.
Add sprinkles or sanding sugar on top of each cookie.
Bake in 300°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. The edges will be very lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for one minute, the transfer to wire cooling rack.
Can I roll the dough out and cut it into shapes?
Yes! Simply roll out the dough on a lightly-floured surface, then cut into shapes and transfer to baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Depending on how large the shape is, cookies may takes less time. Remove cookies once the edges are lightly browned.
Traditionally, this shortbread does not have vanilla extract. You can add up to 1 teaspoon or vanilla or ½ teaspoon almond extract for flavoring these cookies.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can make this Easter shortbread cookies recipe ahead of time. Once the cookies are cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Yes. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface and cut into shapes, then bake in 300°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
storage & freezing instructions
Store cooled shortbread in airtight container for up to four weeks.
Shortbread may be frozen between layers or parchment paper in a freezer safe container. Thaw at room temperature before serving.