You're going to love the smoky flavor that the Gouda cheese adds to this delicious potato side dish! This is an easy side dish recipe that suits Easter ham, prime rib - really any dinner! Garnish with fresh chives or parsley and Parmesan. I hope this recipe for Smoked Gouda Potatoes Au Gratin becomes your favorite side dish too!
2 lbs. Russet potatoes
2 cups half-and-half cream (or heavy cream)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup havarti, shredded
1/2 cup smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
1 and 3/4 cups milk Cheddar cheese, grated
Fresh parsley for garnish
- Grease an 8x8-inch casserole dish with butter. Alternatively, you can spray the baking dish with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Use a sharp knife or mandolin slicer to and peel the russet potatoes, rinse and slice potatoes into 1/8" thick slices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together half and half cream, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 and 1/4 cups of the cheddar cheese, all of the havarti and all of the smoked Gouda cheese.
- Layer a third of the potato slices on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with one-third of the cheese mixture, then pour one-third of the heavy cream mixture over top.
- Repeat for two more layers in the same manner.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender when pierced.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Reheating instructions: Bring to room temperature, then reheat in a 375°F oven, covered in foil for 20 to 25 minutes.
Microwave - cover loosely with paper towelling and reheat over medium heat for three minute increments, checking every few minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: smoked Gouda potatoes au gratin, cheesy au gratin potatoes